Marathon Diet (Long race): Nutrition continues to be a much discussed topic amongst marathon runners. Questions about what to eat before, during, and after the race are commonly asked by beginners and even advanced runners. Interestingly, the story does not start in the week before the race, like training it starts many weeks before the event! After a race it also seems to be one of the main topics, especially for runners who did not achieve their goals or had problems along the way. Training and nutrition are the two of the most important factors determining performance on race day. Preparation starts many weeks before the event. You need to know some of the basics of the race like: what nutrition will be provided before, the race day and post marathon.
- What is marathon diet
- Explanation the relation between marathon and nutrition will be discussed.
- The importance of marathon diet, role of macronutrients and micronutrients during marathon will be discussed.
- To know about pre marathon diet(starting from few weeks before), diet given on marathon week, on race day, post marathon diet.
- Understanding the importance of hydration, how much water you should consume in marathon diet.
- To know about the good sources of carbohydrate, protein and healthy fat should be there in marathon diet.
- What fluid should you drink during marathon.
- To understand what precautions should be taken who is participating in marathon for the first time and what will be the marathon diet for the beginner.
- What will be the negative impact if you run in empty stomach.
- To know about the necessary steps should be taken in marathon diet to avoid tiredness, fatigue.
- In case if you have any medical history or chronic disease what are the essential steps you should take before participating in marathon, in that case what will be your marathon diet.
- If you have muscle damage during practice, what strategies you should take.
- To know about the instructions you need to follow if you have stomach or gut upset.
- What is carbohydrate and fat loading in marathon diet and know about reserving energy for the marathon day.
- If you are a senior person and participating in marathon, what precautions you need to take and in that case what will be the marathon diet.
- To know about a common problem dehydration during marathon, how you will manage it.. What should be there in marathon diet to avoid it.
- In marathon diet eating more carbohydrate does not mean overeating or eating as much as possible! It just means making sure more of your daily calories are coming from carbohydrate at the cost of some fat. It is a good idea to have the last large meal at lunch time the day before and to have a lighter meal in the evening. This is also something you should practice in the weeks before or when you have a smaller race coming up. If you frequently suffer from gastro-intestinal problems, reduce your fiber intake to a minimum the day before the race.
- Marathon diet is different from rest of other diet. Carbohydrate loading is very important for Marathon. Sufficient carbohydrate is being needed for proper energy. Similarly, in marathon diet protein and healthy fat also should be there. Including healthy fat in your diet is essential for those who are participating in marathon. Protein helps to repair muscle, healthy fat also provides energy. In marathon diet one needs to eat sufficient carbohydrate before race (2.5 hours before)to get energy till the end of race but over eating is harmful, that will make the runner lethargic. Another most important in marathon diet is hydration before and during race is equally essential. Lack of water can also make runner dizzy, lethargic. So follow the instructions and diet will be given to you.